Good morning and happy hump day! Also, Happy Birthday to two of my favorite people ever, my dad and sister! These pictures are sooo old. I can’t believe I haven’t seen them i so long… Can’t wait to see them in May to celebrate!!!!
Since Ryan and I will be taking some days off this summer, we’re trying to get some projects done around the house. It was about a year ago that we changed the flooring of the kitchen to vinyl tile, and we just got around to finish the other two areas that needed changing: the entry by the garage and the bathroom. Yey! We gathered our tools and got to work.
First up, we needed to take all the existing flooring out, that included the linoleum and the glitter tile. Yes, you heard me right. Glitter tile.
With a crowbar, we took the quarter round and baseboards out.
Since there was tar underneath, we covered the floor with some plastic to protect our feet/socks and to prevent dust or particles from sticking to it.
Before we could begin laying down tile. we had a problem to fix. When we took the toilet out and the flooring, we found that the previous owners must have had some water problems because the subfloor was rotted out. Sooooo, we had to take that part out, run to the hardware store and get some plywood to replace it. Fun, I know. It added about three hours to the project. But Ryan got to buy some tools, so he wasn’t too upset about it.
We also sealed all cut marks, edges and around the pipes with foam sealant to protect from any future water damage or humidity.
Time to lay tile. We used the same one as in the kitchen, the Crescendo groutable vinyl tile from Lowes.
Start laying the tile down in rows and use separators as guides to keep the grid and to make sure the spaces in between to be grouted are even.
Once again, we went with an offset pattern. This is pretty forgiving when it comes to walls/spaces not being square and to keep the unity between the kitchen and other floors.
Unfortunately, we didn’t think about aligning the pattern where it meets the kitchen, but it’s really hardly noticeable. I just know it’s something my dad will notice right away, haha.
Once you’ve laid out all the full tiles, it’s time to cut them. A simple score line with an utility knife will be enough to snap the tile and break along line.
For more intricate cuts, as around doors or vents, you may need to get a little fancy with your cuts. One tip: cut a stencil out of paper first to make sure it fits before wasting tile.
After setting up a whole area, you can also take the spacers out. The beauty of vinyl is that it won’t move and you don’t have to wait for it to dry before grouting.
In the bathroom, we also caulked where the tile met the tub and the pipe. Again, we want to minimize any spaces where water might settle.
Time to grout! Spread grout in the grooves, smooth out with a sponge soaked in warm water, and clean any grout from the tiles. The bottom right corner picture shows the clean tile (bottom) to the ones that still have the whitish grout film.
Final step for the night, caulk the tile where it meets the tub once more. I have no idea how water could get anywhere under this floor.
This is only the first half of the project. Soon, I’ll share with you the finishing touches.
It was a lot of work, specially with the lovely unknown, but it was definitely well worth it. Love it!