Good morning! I don’t know about you, but I really don’t want summer to end. I just love it. This week, the temperatures have been on the cooler side, so I’m trying to save any ounce of all things summer as long as I can. That’s exactly why I made this lemon pound cake this last weekend. It’s delicious. If it reminds you of the one from Starbucks, well that’s because it’s adapted from a copycat recipe from The 36th Avenue. It’s a little less moist than the original version, but still delicious.
Plus, it’s super simple to make. First off, you mix your dry ingredients together (flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt).
Then, blend your liquid ingredients together (eggs, butter, vanilla extract, lemon juice and sugar). I used three lemons to get the lemon juice, afterwards, I just threw the leftovers in the garbage disposal for a quick clean up. Plus, it’s the bets way to freshen up the disposal.
Add the oil and zest to the liquid mix. Finally, blend the two (dry and liquid) together.
Pour into a loaf pan. As always, I like it with parchment paper for easier cleanup and it just doesn’t stick to the pan at all.
After baking for about 45 minutes, try to hold back and let the cake cool completely.
Mix the glaze ingredients together (powdered sugar, milk and lemon juice).
Pour over cake and serve.
A piece of this cake definitely tastes like summer.
Iced Lemon Pound Cake
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 eggs, at room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 Tbsp butter, softened
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup lemon juice (about three lemons)
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- Zest of one lemon
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 Tbsp milk
- 1/2 tsp lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a 9”x5” loaf pan with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, whisk flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- In a separate bowl, beat eggs, sugar, butter, vanilla extract and lemon juice until blended.
- Mix wet ingredients with dry ingredients until smooth.
- Add oil and lemon zest and mix.
- Pour mixture into prepared loaf pan and bake for 45-50 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and let cool completely.
- To make the glaze, whisk powdered sugar, milk and lemon juice until combined. Drizzle over cooled cake.