Hello! Hope you’re having a good week so far. The weather is starting to turn here, so Boone is definitely enjoying his walks a little more. I can’t complain either, it always feels good to get outside for a little bit. Right now I’m just fighting trying to stay healthy since it feels like I always get some sort of cold this time of year. So, lots of rest for me.
Fall also calls for some baking. I mean, I bake year round, but there’s something about baking in the fall that makes it extra special. The other day, I made some peanut butter blossoms. Usually I make this once a year, during Christmas, but I had a craving and went with it. Now, if you know anything about me is that I don’t love peanut butter. In fact, I can’t stand it, but it’s just subtle enough in these cookies that I actually really like them.
I’ve tried a few recipes over the years, but this one seems to be the one that works perfectly for me. It all starts with some butter, brown sugar and peanut butter. I’ve also made these with almond butter with similar results.
Then, the white sugar and the eggs get added, one at a time. Mix in the milk and vanilla extract.
Next up, the final dry ingredients: flour, baking soda and salt.
Prepare two baking sheets with parchment paper and preheat oven to 375 degrees. Shape dough into 1-inch balls and roll in white sugar before placing on prepared baking sheet.
Bake for 10-12 minutes, not more or cookies will be too hard once it cools.
While the cookies bake, I spend my time unwrapping a ton of kisses.
Once cookies are out of the oven, place a kiss candy in the middle of each one, gently pressing down to flatten cookie. The heat from the cookie will melt the bottom of the chocolate and once it cools it’ll stay fused to the cookie. Magic!
Peanut Butter Blossoms
makes 44-48, but recipe can definitely be doubled
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 Tbsp. milk
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 3/4 cup flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup white sugar, for rolling
- 1 bag of chocolate kisses
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and prepare baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, mix softened butter, peanut butter and brown sugar until fully combined.
- Combine the white sugar and the eggs (one at a time if doubling recipe).
- Mix in the milk and vanilla extract.
- Add the flour, baking soda and salt, stir until fully incorporated.
- Shape dough into 1-inch balls and roll in white sugar before placing on prepared baking sheet, about 1.5 inches apart.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes.
- Place an unwrapped kiss candy in the middle of each cookie as soon as they’re out of the oven, gently pressing down to flatten cookie.
- Let cool completely, until chocolate hardens. Store in an airtight container.