It’s Friday! Even though the temperatures have been a little bit on the cooler side for my liking, I’m looking forward to the first “long” trip with a newborn. We are going to visit Ryan’s parents and family for Easter and have a three hour drive ahead of us. Wish us luck!
As Midwesterners know, Spring comes with crazy weather, including chances of severe storms. Thankfully we have a basement to use for cover if need be, and thankfully it is know refinished to be more inviting. It was Ryan’s last project before Olivia’s arrival. I wish I could say I helped, but all I did was put in my two cents ever so often and tag along on shopping trips. He was fine with it though. It turned out amazing and the lighter color makes it so much more inviting.
Before, the wood paneling was so dark that we hardly ever spent time in the basement. It just wasn’t cozy at all. We knew we were going to spend a lot of time in the basement once Olivia was big enough to run around and play with toys, so we wanted to tackle a quick upgrade. Now, this is by no means the ultimate way to redo a basement, and there’s still a lot of things we’ll want to eventually change and upgrade, but it’s a great budget-minded option.
The first thing we needed to do was to cover the paneling. We kept the original paneling and just used some sheetrock Joint Compound to fill in the gaps. This Dust Control one was very helpful to keep the mess to a minimum, it still was very dusty though.
First thing is to plaster the gaps of the paneling with the compound.
And then to smooth it out. Let it dry and repeat as necessary.
You also need to sand between layers. It was a lot of hard work and took quite a bit of time. Probably the most strenuous part of the remodel.
The joints between paneling got the most compound to hide them better. This doesn’t cover them completely, but it definitely did a great job.
The next thing we did was to spray on Wall Texture to the paneling. We did this to help us hide the imperfections, disguise the joints and to create a better binding surface for the paint.
The cool thing about this wall texture is that you can adjust how big you want the splatter to be. We went with a medium texture.
After it’s completely dry, move on to painting. After taping outlets and other surfaces off, the edges got the first coat of paint. We used Valspar’s Signature It simply is the best.
One coat of paint in. Let dry.
After the second coat…
Finally, we changed the trim. We used a prefinished MDF trim we bought at Menards. It was fairly inexpensive and proved to have a few posiives we didn’t foresee. One being that it’s quite flexible, so it hid the paneling imperfections (warping, bending, unaligned) unlike a rigid wood trim would’ve allowed us to do.
We just attached it with brad nails and cut the edges with the miter saw.
We used the same type of moulding for the ceiling, in juts a different style.
In this picture you can see the gap between the moulding and the paneling, where it is warped. Again, not perfect, but worked just fine for us.
Other finishing touches included changing all the outlets and switch plates form dark brown to white. (This area will eventually be a bar/game “room”)
Now the basement looks like a completely different room and we definitely use it a lot more often now. So happy with how it turned out.
Have a good weekend and Happy Easter!