I’m not sure if this happens to you, but I always get a banana craving when I go grocery shopping, only to buy them and have them sit on my countertop until it’s too late. If you ask me, putting them at the front of the store is a great marketing strategy. Since I don’t like food going to waste, I usually end up baking with the overripe bananas. Add a recent chocolate craving I’ve been having and these chocolate chip banana muffins came to life.
It all starts with a few ingredients you probably already have lying around the house. At least I do. You never know when the baking bug is going to strike!
First, mix the ingredients in a stand mixer. Then, fold in the chocolate chips.
Pour batter into a large muffin tin lined with parchment paper or greased. This recipe will make about two batches, or 12 muffins.
Combine brown sugar, flour, butter and cinnamon in a bowl.
Sprinkle about a tablespoon over each muffin. This step is completely optional. The muffins will still taste great without this topping, but it does give it a nice crusty top.
Bake in a 350 degree oven for 20-25 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
Moist, chocolaty and delicious. Plus, the bananas have been saved! These muffins were also a lifesaver those mornings that Olivia was a little bit more needy than usual aka one-handed eating. Enjoy!
Chocolate Chip Banana Muffins with Brown Sugar Topping
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons sour cream
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 3 ripe bananas, mashed
- 3/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Brown Sugar Topping: 1/3 cup brown sugar, 2 tablespoons flour, 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon, 1 tablespoon butter
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix all ingredients of the muffins, except chocolate chips, in a stand mixer. Fold in chocolate chips.
- Pour batter into large muffin tins lined with parchment paper or greased.
- Combine all ingredients of the brown sugar topping.
- Sprinkle about a tablespoon over each muffin.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.