Ok, I’m in love with lemon flavors. Lemon screams summer just like peppermint screams winter. The sun and citrus were meant to be together. These sugar cookies are divine. Soft, chewy and sweet. Sign me up!
I followed this recipe from Cooking On the Front Burner with a few minor tweaks. It all comes together with a few pantry staples, plus a little lemon. I actually made just half of the recipe, so my numbers below reflect that.
First up, you need to cream together the sugar and butter. Soft butter is what will do the trick here.
Next, comes in the egg, vanilla, lemon zest and lemon juice.
Next, the dry ingredients: flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
Form the dough into sizeable balls and roll in sugar.
Bake at 350 degrees for 11 minutes, not more. On parchment paper, always.
Once out of the oven for a few minutes, transfer to wire rack to let cool completely.
To be honest, the cookies are really good at this point, so you don’t have to add any more to them. But, if you want to make them all pretty then move on ahead to the glaze. It’s basically powdered sugar, lemon juice and milk.
Gently glaze over the cookies. I use the same whisk used for mixing up the glaze.
For a little bit of added crunch and color, decorate with some yellow sprinkles.
Try not to eat all of them. It’s pretty hard because they are addicting!
Lemon Sugar Cookies with Lemon Glaze and Sprinkles
makes 16-18 cookies
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- zest of 1/2 a lemon
- half a large egg (comes to be about 1/8 cup of a beaten egg)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- juice of 1 lemon, divided
- 1 2/3 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 2-3 teaspoons milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and prepare two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a stand mixer, cream 3/4 cups of sugar and butter.
- Add the lemon zest, vanilla, egg and juice of 1/2 a lemon and mix thoroughly.
- Add the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt, little by little until all is combined.
- Form dough into balls and roll in 1/4 cup of sugar. Place in baking sheets and bake for 11 minutes.
- Cool for 5 minutes and transfer to cooling rack until completely cooled.
- Whisk together the powdered sugar, juice of half a lemon and 2 teaspoons of milk. If glaze needs to be more liquid, add milk little by little. Pour glaze over cookies and top with sprinkles.