Hello and happy Friday! If you couldn’t tell, I’m still feeling BVI withdrawal. With that in mind, I created this ice-cream amazingness this past weekend and it is so so good. It combines all the flavors of the Bushwacker drink into a perfect little spoonful of joy.
There’s a lot of components and the combination turns out great. The Bushwacker drink is one of my mom’s favorites in the islands, and apparently she shares the love with a lot of Puerto Ricans. With coconut, Kahlua, amaretto, dark rum and crème de cacao, who wouldn’t?!?
It starts by making the base. In a blender, combine coconut milk, cream of coconut and heavy cream.
This will go into the fridge to cool.
The only tedious part is making the syrups. I made three, but you could probably pick and choose which ones to use. Granted, you’ll be sacrificing some flavors if you do.
First up, combine all the ingredients of the Chocolate Syrup in a pan.
Boil while whisking until it thickens.
Place in a container in the fridge until ready to use.
The coffee syrup is similar in cooking method with an added step.
First, you need to boil the coffee and sugar for about 8 minutes.
Then, the rest of the ingredients get added and whisked until a caramel forms. Once again, storing in the fridge until ready to use.
For the Almond Rum Syrup, once again all ingredients get boiled together in a small pan.
Remember, syrups and caramels take some time, don’t rush it and turn the heat up. This will only burn them. Just find a good music playlist and whisk away until you forget what you were doing.
Once the coconut ice cream mixture has cooled for at least four hours, pour into your ice cream maker and follow directions. Mine takes 20 minutes.
If syrups harden, microwave for 30 seconds. Slowly pour over ice cream and stir in machine until combined.
Transfer ice cream to freezer container and freeze until it sets.
Mix mixture about every hour to avoid the settling of the heavier syrups.
Bushkwacker Ice Cream
- Ice Cream
- 1 cup full fat coconut milk
- 1 can cream of coconut
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- Chocolate Syrup
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3/8 cup sugar
- 3/8 water
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- Coffee Syrup
- 4 Tablespoons brewed coffee
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup whipping cream
- 2 1/2 Tablespoons butter, cubed
- pinch of salt
- Almond Rum Syrup
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup whipping cream
- 2 Tablespoons butter, cubed
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/4 teaspoon rum extract
- pinch of salt
- Combine coconut milk, cream of coconut and heavy cream in a blender. Place in fridge at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Stir Chocolate Syrup ingredients in a small pan. Place over medium low heat until it boils. Whisk for 5-7 minutes until mixture thickens. Store in an airtight container in the fridge until ready to use.
- For the Coffee Syrup, heat coffee and sugar in a small saucepan over low heat for 8 minutes. Add cream and butter and whisk for about 20 minutes until mixture thickens. Stir in salt. Store in an airtight container in the fridge until ready to use.
- Stir Almond Rum Syrup ingredients in a small pan. Place over medium low heat until it boils. Whisk for about 10 minutes until mixture thickens. Store in an airtight container in the fridge until ready to use.
- Place cold ice cream mixture in your ice cream maker and follow directions.
- Once ice cream sets, slowly add one syrup at a time. syrups might need to be microwaved beforehand (for about 30 seconds) to warm up and make runny.
- Transfer ice cream mixture to an airtight container and place in freezer to let it harden.
- To avoid syrups from settling to the bottom, stir ice cream about every hour until it completely sets. Enjoy!
Other Ice Cream recipes to try: